Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Headliner

When I first moved to Sugar Hill, which is a sub-neighborhood of Harlem, I found myself living with two actors in a cheap but nice place on St. Nicholas Ave. I was subletting their third roommate's room, who also happened to be a stage manager for various shows around town.


I used to do theater in high school and loved it, but I got out as quickly as I could in college because I realized that there is just way too much "drama" in theater. About 70 percent of the people that act are great; nice people, level headed, and down to earth. But the other 30 percent....Jesus. We're talking boarder-line socio-paths with a deep running complex and a bad attitude. My first girlfriend in college was in theater, which didn't help either.


But I moved in with these two actors, one guy and one girl, (who now I live across the hall from) and its really interesting the people you can meet through an actor. The guy, who we'll call Steve for the time being, was best friends with what I might call a "headliner" on Broadway. Among other things, Steve's friend was up for a Tony Award this past fall for Best Actor. A Tony Award! That's the top prize in theater. Not too shabby. While he didn't win, this headliner is pulling what some CEO's don't make. I think I heard something like $5,000-7,000 a during the run of his show. That's between $250,000 and $350,000 a year, not including the national commercials he was signed on to.


The kicker is that this headliner is maybe two years older than I am, and I've played Nazi Zombies with him before (kicked his ass). Down to Earth, nicest guy you could meet. But will I see him sign a million dollar movie contract in the next few years? I'd be surprised if I didn't.


So now I can say that I've known, been loose friends with, and kicked the crap out of a Tony-nominated future millionaire in Nazi Zombies. Hell ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment