Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Tie Guy

I'm a temp. I've been temping for a bit. While it's not my personal preference, temping kept me in the city while I could hunt for a full time job. My first post was at an accounting firm. The pay wasn't bad but the work sucked. Like REALLY sucked. Data entry, filing, more data entry...and then some data entry on top of that.


So while the job was boring and essentially thankless, I went in there every damned day in a suit and tie - and I looked good. Like GQ good. Usually, I was dressed better than the Directors and Partners, which made me stand out.


At the end of the original project that I was brought for, as I saw temps getting the cut day by day, I got recruited to work in another department that paid more, with the possibility of a permanent position. The reason? My office nickname was "The Tie Guy," and the CFO wanted to look at this sharp-dressed kid's resume.


While the permanent position thing never quite panned out, I got three months of awesome pay, and some kick-ass experience all for wearing a tie.


So remember folks, there is serious truth to that saying, "Dress for the job you want, not the job you have."

No comments:

Post a Comment